SuccessFactors Employee Central(EC) Time off module is made to suit your employees’ and your company’s need. It is simple, flexible and beautiful. SuccessFactors EC Time Off module helps companies manage their employees’ time management data in the SuccessFactors. KALTech can help enable this functionality for your organisation.
This module’s functionality attracts each of the different users: employees, managers and HR administrators. It allows employees to request time off, view or cancel their time requests, and view team calendars which shows them who else among the peers has requested time off during the same period. Managers can use the easy functionality called Manage Time Off to create, view, approve, and reject employees’ time-off requests. Team calendar can help the manager in approving or rejecting leave by viewing the team’s current absences and planned absences. HR administrators can create, view, approve and reject employees’ time-off requests as well as manage the time accounts.
Why Time Off?
- Organisations necessity to know when their employees are at work and when they aren’t.
- Employees need to be able to plan their holidays.
- Managers need to be able to agree whether the holiday request can be approved or not.
SuccessFactors EC Time off offers this solution in a paperless environment. Employees can request time off from their mobile/cellular phone or the internet and managers can approve or decline these requests in the same manner.
EC Time Off supports the variety of needs around account and accrual management as well as specific policies while taking leave.
Use cases for a time off application
- Employee requests, views or cancels time off; such as annual leave, sick leave or paid time off.
- Employee views team absences.
- Employee views own time account details.
- Manager approves or rejects time off requests based on team absences.
- HR Administrator sets up Time Off at the hiring.
- HR Administrator needs an overview of an employee’s time accounts.
- HR Administrator makes a manual adjustment to a time account.
- HR Administrator creates an absence request on behalf of an employee.
- HR Administrator creates and runs a time off accrual calendar to have accrual created automatically.
- HR Administrator runs period-end processing.
How does EC Time off Work?
Employee Central offers flexible solution time off as time off policies may differ from organisation to organisation, within an organisation, from country to country as organisations might have different time off policies for diverse user groups.
Time off is not just country-specific, but even employee-specific. Hence, time off settings need to be defined for each employee. This can be done by maintaining the following fields for each employee in the employee’s job information:
- Holiday calendar ➜ to ensure that the public holidays are taken into account when the employee requests time off.
- Work schedule ➜ to state the employee’s roster which determines whether the employee works full time or part time and for which days of the week. This information is needed to evaluate the time off correctly.
- Time profile ➜ to specify which leave types the employee is entitled to take and how the time accounts (Leave Quotas) should be managed and accruals should be created.
Requesting Time off
To empower an employee to request leave, holiday calendar, work schedule, and time profile must be defined in the system and assigned to the employee in employee’s job information.
Request time off process:
Managing Balances (Time Accounts)
If employees are entitled to or are accruing time off for certain leave types, time account is required to manage the balance.
For such leave types, time account types need to be defined in the system in addition to the time type. Time account type are used to control:
- How time accounts are created.
- How accruals are created.
- How leave can be taken.
Time accounts can be created in one of two ways:
- Automatically, by assigning a time profile to the employee’s job information.
By this manner, a time profile is assigned that includes a time type with a time account type assigned. The time accounts required for this employee are then created. Permanent time accounts and recurring time accounts for the respective time period are created.
- With a time off calendar of type “account creation”.
Accruals can be created automatically by assigning the accrual rule in the time account type. Accrual rules determines the amount and posting date of the accrual booking.
To prorate and create accruals at the time an employee is hired or leave the company, hire rule and termination rule can be created and assigned.
The accrual booking is done using a time off calendar of type “accrual”. This calendar can be created either manually, in bulk by selecting a period for which you want calendars created, or automatically.
A calendar of type “accrual” first identifies valid time accounts and considers the respective time account eligibility status and time account type waiting period. The accrual postings are then created, based on the accrual rule.
Closing Time Accounts
Time accounts can be closed and remaining balances can be forfeited or transferred to the subsequent time accounts using a time off calendar of type “period-end processing”. This is defined in the period-end processing rule in the time account type.
Time Off Workflows
With SuccessFactors, it is very flexible and simple to define workflows as per the business need. SuccessFactors allows up to 6 levels of workflow definition. Different workflows can be defined per time type. For example, annual leave request requires manager approval whereas an unpaid leave request needs additional approval from the manager’s manager.
Time off Reporting
SuccessFactors offers a number of delivered Standard Reports (Absence Overview, Account Overviews, Account snapshots) to allow both Managers and Administrators to view. Reports can be produced by individual employee or by a large work group such as a department, division, business unit and/or organisation. Access to these reports are granted through the SuccessFactors Role-based Permission framework, which ensures that employees’ data are available to their respective managers or the company administrators only.
For more information, contact us at KALTech and experience the KALTech difference!!